Train Display Case

By Ty’s Model Railroad - 2/06/2012 06:55:00 PM

Scratch built wooden model train display case with 6 shelves with railroad track and a hardboard backing

With my very small collection of locomotives and rolling stock starting to grow, I needed someplace to store them while not in use. Even though my collection is currently very small, it is ever so slowly growing, I needed more of a long-term storage solution. I searched my shed and basement and managed to round up just enough scrap material to construct a wood display case which will mount to the wall adjacent to my layout. 

Scratch built wooden model train display case with 6 shelves with railroad track and a hardboard backing

The case frame measures 37 1/2” inches wide by 35” tall and is constructed from 3” x 3/4” lumber, screwed and glued together at the corners. The six shelves are made of 2” x 5/8” lumber and are 36” long, allowing for a full length of flex track to be mounted. The shelves were then mounted to the frame with screws and wood glue. The backing is made from 1/8” thick hardboard. 

Scratch built model train display case with 6 shelves installed on a wall with locomotives and rolling stock

As I mentioned before, this was made almost completely from scrap materials and was done easily on a Saturday afternoon. It is nothing fancy or complicated, but at least I have a place to store, display, and protect my locomotives and rolling stock. Next week I will hopefully add horizontal sliding glass or clear acrylic doors to keep the dust out.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Nice work. I almost bought a case at a trainshow this weekend for about $185. Your case is nicer and probably cheaper. Maybe I should just build my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing I really had to buy was the hardboard backing and the track, which in total cost about $25.00 total (the wood was all from scrap). Even if you had to go and buy everything new, it probably wouldn't cost you any more then $50 total. Definately try building your own! Let me know how it turns out.

      -Ty

      Delete
  2. Nice site, Ty, and I do like your simple-but-elegant cabinets you made for your stock. After all, the idea is to feature the trains, not the cabinet, and your simple design does that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Students can access the TBSE HS question papers on the board's official website. On this page, they can also obtain the TBSE class 12 question papers for all topics. Read this post to get the TBSE 12th question papers for Maths, Biology, Accountancy, and other subjects, as well as the exam's mark distribution. Tripura HS Model Paper Consult the following syllabus: Follow the TBSE 12th grade syllabus and make sure you cover all of the relevant topics. This will show you how the marks are distributed and how themes are weighted in the TBSE 12th exam papers for 12th grade. Completing the material at least one month before the 12th board test is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete